https://thedigitalbakery.blogspot.c

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Significant Completion.


 Another completion from The Splendid Sample, which for me, is also a tribute to a Very Dear Aunt.

Satin stitch embroidery has not been something I have done in probably, a couple of decades..I had a very good reason to check that I could still do this stitch. Although simple, it does need to be even and well placed within the designated outline.  . While we were visiting home last year, a  dear Aunt, gave me one of her unfinished embroidered table cloths. .My Aunt recalled, as a very small child the design had been of particular fascination for me This being the very reason she wanted me to have this piece of her work to complete,  along with my delight in this kind of needlework.

Over the many moons since that time, I had the forgotten  the cloth.. When my Aunt produced the item I immediately remembered the design.  I looked at it recently & wondered however I would be able to produce such beautiful Satin stitches, to compliment  the exquisite stitching already on the table cloth, by my Aunt.  I feel a tad more confident having completed this particular block consisting of much Satin stitch, along with a patchwork border.

The significant part is that today,  May 23rd, 2017 in the Southern Hemisphere, my  very dear Aunt is celebrating her 90th birthday. I finished the embroidery last night & the patchwork borders  were attached to complete the block, this morning. I've been blessed to have seven  aunts, four of  my late, very dear Mother's, sisters & a SIL, along with two sisters of my late Father. I'm very lucky to still have my Mother's two younger sisters.

This block below #20, from the online adventure called,  "The Splendid Sampler."  by Pat Sloan & Jane Davidson.  A wonderful quilting, stitching & learning adventure from last year, which is about to start again in a few days. Details, photographs, participants,  sign ups, along  with the  Wonderful Splendid Sampler  book,  can be found here,     https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSplendidSampler/

Enjoy.



4 comments:

  1. That block is absolutely breathtaking. Your aunt will fall in love with it when she sees it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, It was a very pleasant stitch. I hope your holiday is going well. K.

      Delete
  2. Hi kay,

    I have just been peeking at your blog.

    Now that's a great start for my day.
    Your satin stitching is wonderful and those bright colours just pop..No wonder my little friends are there ...love that block so much ..Lots of hours but well worth every minute.

    I love the other as well Hand made is a lovely novelty.Love the heart design...do I see chain stitch there on the shape looks great anyway.
    Your Hawaiian block is striking I do envy your colour sense.....Is that one needle turned....very time consuming also and a great finish.
    Wonderful work Kay my talented friend
    keep up the good work

    Love
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely, Kay! I rarely do satin stitching, but so love the look of it... Your aunt will love it--and I hope she enjoyed her 90th birthday. My own dear mother turned 90 just 9 days before your aunt :)

    ReplyDelete