https://thedigitalbakery.blogspot.c

Monday, July 29, 2024

Patchwork Stitching

I haven't posted in quite a while although, I have been busy making a quilt of many pieces. It is an English Paper Pieced, (EPP) epic, of one and a quarter inch, equilateral, triangles. So far not quite three years of hand piecing. There have been a couple of interruptions over that time, including o/s travel twice and a major health problem. Since recovering, I have been able to work at this project most days/evenings for a few hours. Because it is handwork, with small sized pieces, it is very transportable. I take it with me in the car when we are traveling, on short or longer journeys. I've planned it to fit our Super King sized bed. As I pondered the construction of this quilt, I estimated 65 rows for the quilttop. It is comprised of a selection of both scrap pieces and others from my fabric collection. A few weeks ago I had completed 60 rows, each comprising 116 different pieces. I considered the size and I decided to stop and start on the borders. I can always add more rows later, if I feel they are necessary. I hadn't envisaged any special system for borders, only planning to incorporate within those borders, some reflection from the main body of the quilt. However, since then I have started a border row of these templates interspersed with an alternate plain, neutral coloured fabric of the same sized template. I also made several pieces for the end of row inserts. This will allow borders to be attached with a minimum of complications. I'm still deciding how many borders, along with what background colours will best enhance the overall quilt. After the top is completed there is the quilting. I'm a hand quilter. I am yet to decide if I will do hand quilting or perhaps have it machine quilted. Another decision for a later time. Enjoy, Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment